Your Ceremony & Story, Delivered
I can’t be there, but next best thing: I’ll write your love story and your full ceremony
It happens: I’m already booked on your date, or your wedding is in Tokyo, or you’ve already got an officiant.
No problem! I’ll write your full ceremony with your collaboration and in my unique funny and moving style, I’ll write your story – how you met, first date, proposal, what you love about each other, and what your family and friends love about you.
Then I’ll send it off to your officiant who can deliver it in your ceremony, and you’ll have that unboring wedding that everybody loves!
How does it work?
1) We schedule a video chat: our one-hour ceremony planning session.
Over the course of an hour, we will cover your preferences around all the details and elements of your ceremony. I’ll be filling in my officiant spreadsheet with the following details:
- the logistics around music, mics, etc.
- exactly what is happening before the ceremony and who is where
- opening announcements for your officiant
- who is in your processional and how they enter and stand
- how you want to say the vows and what you’d like to say
- who has the rings and how to exchange them
- if you’d like to add any other elements or readings to your ceremony
- who is signing and how the table will be arranged
- what your officiant needs to tell your guests as the ceremony is closing
- how you get presented for the first time
- how you and your party exit.
2) I take all that data and create your full ceremony script.
Your screenplay-like ceremony script will include all the details that we talked about. It has:
- “stage directions,” names, times, and full instructions about who is doing what, saying what, and when.
- any outstanding decisions to be made marked and highlighted, with comments in the margins.
3) I share your editable script with you, your officiant, and anyone else you might need it.
In the weeks leading up to your ceremony, we’re building out any items that weren’t nailed down in our planning session. The finished product is what your officiant will read in your ceremony! You can:
- edit the script itself,
- reply to or ask quesitons in the interactive comments in the margins,
- request any changes and unlimited revisions.
4) I start working on your story by sending you and your fiancee some questions.
I’ll email you a survey form asking you about:
- your first impression of each other,
- your first date,
- your proposal,
- what you love about each other,
- giving me a few email addresses of friends and family.
5) You each fill out the survey and send it back to me.
Ideally, within three weeks of your wedding date and without reading each other’s answers, you’ll describe for me all the above events on the survey form and I’ll have “both sides of the story.” It’s so fun to see the differences and similarities in how you describe the same milestone occasions in your relationship!
6) I email your friends and family with some questions about you.
You’ve each given me a few email addresses of friends and/or family members who you know will gush about you. I’ll email them and ask:
- what they know about how you got together,
- what they know about the proposal,
- what they love about you as a couple.
7) I write your story.
I’ll put all the answers together and write a full, funny and moving story that includes:
- how you first met,
- how the first date went,
- how the proposal went down,
- what each of you loves about the other (in your own words),
- what your friends and family love about you as a couple (in their own words),
- a brief reflection about how today is special because of the promises you’re making to always be there for each other for the rest of your lives.
8) I email your story to your officiant and coach them over the phone.
You have the choice: you can either choose to read your story before the wedding, or (way more fun!) wait to hear it along with all your wedding guests. I’ll email your completed story and the full officiant speech to your officiant who will practice the delivery and read it in your ceremony! And I’ll even call them and go over all the details of the script and discuss any of their questions. They’ll be as ready as a pro. Voila – unboring wedding!